Chicago, IL, USA
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2023
We’re Tovala, a food-tech company reinventing home cooking to save consumers time. Through an innovative combination of hardware, software, and fresh food delivery, we make it incredibly simple for anyone to prepare and enjoy delicious, home-cooked meals without sacrificing time to do whatever matters to them. Through our superior technology, product experience and food quality, we have separated Tovala from the busy pack of other meal delivery businesses. In the process, we’ve amassed a loyal, rapidly growing following and our retention, product engagement and customer NPS are all best-in-class. We’ve raised over $100mm from great investors like Left Lane Capital, Origin Ventures, Y Combinator and Comcast Ventures and have invested strongly in building a unique culture that fosters growth, personal development and camaraderie.
Tovala is seeking an experienced and entrepreneurial Vendor Manager. Exciting opportunity to jump on board and help grow a new start-up within our start-up: Marketplace by Tovala. The right candidate should feel just as adept in account management, as they do in managing a portfolio of products with the goal of growing and strengthening the P&L of the Marketplace as a stand-alone business unit within Tovala.
About Marketplace by Tovala: As an exciting new business unit, Marketplace is a platform by which Tovala partners with third party brands to bring new, high quality, special occasion food to our customers. For our partners, they know their food is programmed to cook perfectly, just as they intended, every time. For our customers, they can enjoy the same convenience of Tovala Meals with exciting food from a curated list of regional favorites and small businesses.
Location: Chicago HQ
How you'll spend your time at Tovala
- Onboard 3rd party vendors: Drive negotiations, product and pricing, contracts, collection of marketing assets, set up data exchange and payment processes, and ensure customer service readiness to launch.
- Project manage product launches: Utilize strong communication skills to collaborate cross-functionally and ensure timely development of cook cycles, marketing content, and operational readiness.
- Own internal and vendor reporting: Develop weekly/monthly internal reports and monthly/quarterly vendor reports reporting out on key KPIs and performance metrics.
- Improve the customer experience: Restlessly work with vendors to improve value, selection, and the customer experience across their products. Drive business results and top line performance across SKUs, vendors and the entire Marketplace portfolio.
- Operationalize processes to scale: Work cross-functionally to scope ways by which to operationalize processes to support future growth and allow us to scale the program.
- Own vendor relationship management: Act as the primary point of contact for all vendors. Ensure professional and timely responses. Create collective value to drive long term, growing partnerships.
- Customer obsession. Always prioritize the customer experience above all. Identify opportunities to build out the experience and feed this back into the sales and marketing organizations in an effective manner.
- You're a focused self-starter, who creates and executes strategy.
- You’re consumer-centric. Able to consider and prioritize our customer in all of our decisions, leading with a strong understanding of latest insights, and keeping the team at large informed.
- Strong instincts on how to negotiate and drive vendor relationships.
- A great collaborator who can work with a diverse group of people (designers, comms strategists, engineers, chefs, customer support agents, etc.) to iterate on and create the best possible solutions
- You’re an expert at balancing creation of both customer and business value, never sacrificing one for the other.
- A passion for brand building, maintaining, directing, and evolving.
- 3+ years experience doing one of the following roles: Vendor Manager, Account Manager, Brand Manager or Retail Buyer, Management Consultant, Investment Banking Analyst
- Bachelor's degree, or 3+ years of professional or military experience
- DTC and e-commerce experience preferred
- Experience with food and beverage is a major plus but not required
Compensation & Benefits
- Tovala uses market data, geography, and placement of internal employees to determine appropriate salary. Additionally, we offer all employees real ownership in the company in the form of a competitive equity package.
- Unlimited paid time off (with a minimum of 15 days off you HAVE to take)
- Comprehensive healthcare coverage we really invest in
- 401k with match
- Free Tovala Smart Oven and discounted Tovala meals
- Paid holidays and our winter holiday office shutdown where the offices and facilities close for a week around Christmas and New Years
- Various other perks - recognition programs, continued learning stipend, casual dress code, in-office coffee, snacks and drinks, and Tovala swag
The values we hold dear
Put the team first
We put what is best for the broader team ahead of what is best for ourselves or our immediate department.
Get s#!t done (well)
We celebrate people at all levels for delivering high impact work that expands the bounds of what we’re able to do.
Connect the dots
We engage with curiosity to learn how our work impacts others so that we can problem-solve holistically and work collaboratively.
We share our perspective openly and directly, even when it feels difficult to do so.
Embrace the obstacles
We rise to meet challenges with a sense of urgency, resolve, and optimism.
Champion the customer
We consider and prioritize our customer in all of our decisions
At Tovala we‘re committed to building a workplace that represents a variety of backgrounds, skills, and perspectives and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Everyone is welcome here!